Realistic timeline and transparent schedule with due dates is your everyday starting point. To make this easy, plan the whole project implementation from the top down.
10 steps for efficient time management
- Set the final project outcome and the deadline by which you are planning to achieve it
- List all the resources you need for the project to be done within this timeframe
- Tick off the resources you have and decide how will you get the resources you are missing
- Break down all the project steps into monthly goals, outcomes and deliverables and assign each due date
- Further divide monthly objectives into weekly steps to be done to get there
- Assign each step estimated time to complete and distribute appropriate tasks to your team with outlined deadlines
- For the tasks that are on you, plan the whole list before each week starts (based on the list you have created). Prioritize the tasks in order of importance, you should always plan the most important steps to complete at the start of the week. If you run out of time, this planning will ensure the critical steps are taken care of.
- Put all the tasks in your calendar and assign dedicated amount of time to each. Add some buffer (let’s say 20%) in case unforeseen situations happen
- Once you have your calendar filled, and time for each of the tasks blocked – make sure you stick to the schedule and make it known to everyone that you won’t be available during this time.
- Distraction-free work. To be really productive, eliminate all the distractions during your work. Close all the social media tabs, switch off notifications and leave your phone outside of your sight. Avoid checking your emails or chatting with anyone as you get down to your tasks. Put a timer on and use Pomodoro technique to take breaks every 25 minutes – this would ensure your brain is the most productive.